Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Why I love technology!


My father is 70+. 
Last evening, he had a sudden urge to eat guavas.
Back home, trees grow in neighborhoods, and children climbing walls to pluck fruits off their neighbors garden is a common sight. But again, my father is 70+, and plucking a fruit from across a neighborhood garden is not an ideal thing to do. But guess what, he did. But in his child-like enthusiasm, which has increased over the past few years, he fell. He didn't hurt himself, but my worried mother told me over phone - he is still craving guavas. My parents are old - groceries are bought over the weekend, and weekdays are spent at home, engaged in their little hobbies, truly a quiet retired life.
I have been away from home for more than a decade. As much as I would love to spend more time with them, with work and family, I tend to go home and meet them very rarely. They come and visit us in the claustrophobic concrete city - but get restless after couple of days here.
Enter technology. After the call with my mother last evening, I did a google search for online grocery stores. The popular ones were not operational in my city - so I thought, let's risk it, how bad could it be anyways. I ordered guavas, bananas, sweet potato - all of what my father loves, paid the money online, and clicked on order confirmation. It didn't cost me much, but I said a little prayer - I wish they were fresh, I wish they delivered it safely home, I hope my parents like it...I wish...
Today, I received a call confirming my order, and requesting directions to home. By noon, I got a frantic call from my mother. "Someone delivered fruits at home - did you do it, how did it reach from Bangalore so soon, online shopping...but fruits, oh, what all technology can do, no?" In between all that buzz, my father grabbed the phone from her, and said, "I so badly wanted to eat guavas...and now..."
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I love technology - little joys in life fulfilled and sealed to build stronger relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

With Great Power...

Way back in 2010, I had the good fortune to work with an exceptional leader, who believed at the core of everything was the employees of...